The Windmill - The windmill at the top of Werrington is believed to date from around 1730. It stands at the highest point of the road from Bucknall to Cellarhead (880ft). Towards the end of it's life, it was used for the grinding of coal to make 'Bricketts', and during the World War 2, it was the headquarters of the local Home Guard. Today, it houses communication equipment.

 

Dead Mans Grave - At the junction of Draw Well Lane and Armshead Road is the point known as Dead Mans Grave, so called because a man was 'waylaid, robbed and murdered' here (a long time ago it should be said !). In the dividing hedgerow of the corner bungalow is a stone which, according to legend, is the remains of the dead mans headstone. In actual fact, it's more likely the boundary marker stone mentioned in a citation of the boundary between the parishes of Stoke and Caverswall in 1689.

 

Wetley Moor - Now only around a quarter of it's original size, the Moor has been managed by a Joint Committee since 1928. At the highest point is a Triangular pillar used for Ordnance survey purposes as it is one of the highest points in Staffordshire (just over 900ft). Near to this is a large rock (top right in the picture above), and the last remains of Armshead Quarry, closed in the 1950's and now completely filled in. This was one of two quarries in Werrington, the other being situated in Washerwall, at the bottom of the Moor. One of Werrington's two churches, St. Philp's is built mostly out of local stone. If you stand at the top of the Moor, you can also still distinguish the route of the old main road which ran from Bucknall to Cellarhead, until Ash Bank Road was opened around 1777. The picture below shows the view of the moors from the top of the 'big rock'.

 

Young Offenders Institution - Opened in 1870 as an Industrial School, it used to consist of an old farmhouse, 2 adjacent cottages and a barn which had been a 'Chapel of Ease'. In 1933, it became an Approved School before changing to a Detention Centre in 1957, and then a Young Offenders Institute in 1983.

 

Washerwall Well - The only remaining well on Washerwall Lane, known as 'Spring Well'.
Further information may be found on the following link:
http://thepotteries.org/photo_wk/187.htm

 

Ash Hall - The 'Manor' of Werrington. Built mostly from local stone, Ash Hall was originally constructed for the Meigh family. It is currently used as a retirement home. Further details and pictures of the Hall can be found on the link below:
http://www.thepotteries.org/walks/ash_hall/index.htm

 

The Village Hall - Opened in 1938, the village hall has become the social centre of the district, even housing the Doctors Surgery for several years. Today, it is used for a whole range of activities including the children's Playgroup and meeting place for the local Parish Council.